Travelling abroad is always an exciting experience, but it comes with its own risks. While one can trust in planning and their ability to handle emergencies, foreign countries are very expensive when it comes to most things, especially medical emergencies. Why risk ruining your vacation for something that could be taken care of easily via travel insurance?
In this article, we tell you the 6 reasons why an overseas travel insurance is absolutely necessary for anyone travelling abroad and how to buy travel insurance online.
1. Cost of Travelling without Insurance – In case you require medical treatment that needs hospitalization, your bill can run into hundreds or thousands of dollars. Can you really afford to pay for this? You will end up at the mercy of the expensive healthcare system of that country, and leave your family/friends with the unwanted stress of having to arrange for the money at the earliest. While traveling, you never know when you might get seriously injured or fall ill. Just try converting the currency value of INR against the currency of the country you are going to! You will realize the cost of not having travel health insurance would be heavier on your pocket than having to pay the premium for one. Getting foreign travel insurance is therefore essential.
2. Delay or Loss of Checked Baggage – Imagine landing at the airport all excited about exploring the place, only to find that your baggage has been misplaced. Recovering your luggage may take anything from a few hours to a few days. Shopping for essentials which were not on your list now comes first. At least with travel insurance, you know you can get this reimbursed. Most insurance companies provide a standard limit as compensation in their policy which can come in handy.
3. Incidentals during Hospitalization – You may think you can manage the healthcare expenses by yourself during a travel but what about incidental expenses that could make a dent on your wallet? Travelling to and from the hospital, special food requirement and other such related expenses. Longer the hospitalization, higher will be this expense. Your travel policy gives you a daily allowance in such cases.
4. Trip Delay, Cancellation or Curtailment – Sometimes, you may need to cancel the trip or cut it short due to an emergency. This may lead to monetary loss due to cancellation of bookings. A travel policy can provide you with some respite as this is a cover included in most insurance policies.
5. Personal Liability – During the course of your travel, it is possible that you might inadvertently cause accidental injury or damage to another person or their property. In such cases, you may be held legally liable to bear the cost of such damage and provide compensation. Ensure that you get the best travel insurance policy that secures you against these expenses.
6. Home Burglary – While you might be on vacation, the safety of your home is also important. A locked house can tempt burglars. While you can do your best by asking a neighbor to keep an eye, it wouldn’t hurt to check for home burglary cover as an add-on in your travel policy.
A comprehensive travel insurance policy, which covers all the factors mentioned above, can go a long way in ensuring your peace of mind. A quick visit to our travel insurance page can help take care of these.